Defending Timpview against "Super" Dell Schanze

After reading this, I have a few thoughts on "Super" Dell Schanze
http://www.dellschanze.com/

I went to Timpview High School and had a few classes with "Super" Dell Schanze. He and I are both 36 years old. From my point-of-view, he had his own little clique of friends from Dixon Jr. High (most of Timpview went to Farrer Jr. High back then[I went to neither]). I actually did go out of my way to talk to Dell and be friends with him and was treated as an inferior by him. It's interesting that the way he perceived the student-body of Timpview is the way he acted toward me. My biggest problem with his statement is that he has mis-characterized the student body and administration of Timpview as being snobbish, boorish, superficial, and cliquish. Of any school I have attended before or since, Timpview was the friendliest and easiest place ever to make friends. Most of the student body back then) was LDS and very homogeneous in that regard. For me this is what made Timpview such a wonderful place. In many ways it was like Brigham Young High School because so many professor's kids attended school there. I am all for diversity, but for me the homogeneity of Timpview both culturally and ethnically made it a place where I found many people similar to me. Also of note, I lived by the Ironton Hill in South Provo. This is a low to middle-class area of Provo. My family was on government assistance. There is a stereotype people have of Timpview students being rich and elitist. I understand Dell came from similar circumstances. It was the rich kids that reached out to me and were kindest to me during my stint at Timpview.

R.D. aka Mr. G.

P.S. I have copied this email to the current Principal, Principal Bayles of Timpview. I hope that it gives some insight and balance to Mr. Schanze's diatribe.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, that article was totally awesome!!
Dell

C. Dog said...

I didn't know we were on government assistance. Why am I always the last to know these things!!

Unknown said...

I'm not sure if that really was Dell that commented. If it was, I'm just trying to defend my school.

C. Darro, yeah, we were on government assistance. Free lunches and food stamps are government assistance aren't they?

C. Dog said...

Saa weet, I'm poor!