BYU vs. Utah 2001

Utah fans remind me of what BYU fans used to be like back in the 80s. After BYU won the national championship BYU fans thought they were hot crap. I got sick of it and became a Utah fan. Now Utah fans think they're hot crap, but what makes it worse is that it's intertwined with religious intolerance toward the LDS church. I'd be just as upset if it were directed at Notre Dame for being a Catholic school or SMU for being Methodist. That religious bigotry has no place in collegiate sports. Anyone that reads this should read about the history of two soccer teams in Scotland, Rangers and Celtic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rangers_Football_Club). The football (soccer) matches are more about Protestants (Rangers) vs. Catholics (Celtic) than about two football clubs playing a game. It's just stupid. Anyhow, here's the video. Go Cougars!

5 comments:

C. Dog said...

I agree that Utah fans are arrogant, but I'm not sure that they've become, I think they always have been. I don't see that BYU fans were ever like Utah fans. Maybe they were spoiled by success, but they never acted like that. Maybe incidents, but not wholesale.

Unknown said...

I'm older than you. I've seen Utah dominate, then BYU, then Utah, then BYU again. Throughout the 80s, BYU fans were like the Nephites before Christ came. The Utah fans were like the Lamanite, they were humble and closer to God. Now the BYU fans are humble and greatful for what they've got and the Ute fans want to murder all the Nephites (BYU fans). The end.

C. Dog said...

What? I remember the 80s and Utah never dominated, might have won from time to time, but I do agree that it is healthy to go through down times. They make fans hungry!

Anonymous said...

the UTEs BITE!! Actually, I can't give you an unbiased opinion, my great-great grandfather Carl Maeser founded BYU, so it strikes a VERY sore spot when ANYONE...family included....talks smack about BYU.

I guess I should probably not post where I KNOW there will be opposing opinions.

Unknown said...

My point with BYU fans being like the Nephites before Christ came is that BYU dominated in the 80s, they were proud and boastful. The Lamanites were actually the good guys, remember Samuel the Lamanite? You need to read your Book of Mormon. :)